Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The goats of Pele


Finally finding time to return to blogging.....thought I would start with a post on the wild (feral) goats of Maui. We were there the end of Oct till Nov 13th this year.


I decided to take a drive by myself when we were staying in Kihei. I headed south to La Perouse Bay and drove through the lava fields there. Other than going up Haleakala I sometimes forget the volcanic origin of the islands. There amongst the lava was some feral goats that were kind enough to let me take a few pics of them.

I couldn't help but notice how well they blended in with lava rock. I'd like to believe it's a perfect design in the evolution of these goats, as they are legal to hunt.


I'm sure Pele, the goddess of fire, lightning, dance and volcanoes would be pleased to consider these goats her own.

9 comments:

Eve said...

Aren't they beautiful!!

Nancy K. said...

They look sleek and healthy but there sure doesn't seem to be any food supply on the lava fields. I wonder why they are there?

How cool to actually get close enough to photograph them living in the wild!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful goats and they really do blend in with the surrounding landscape color!

Gone2theDawgs said...

Nancy, there are some pretty tough plants living there in the lava...I'm just surprised they keep growing as I'm sure the goats keep them stripped down.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the photos! They are sleek and pretty and look very healthy!

Esther Garvi said...

I love animals in the wild and these goats are gorgeous!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Amazingly beautiful blog!
The wild goats are so beautiful!
Looking forward to following your words!
Have a bright New Year!
~Mimi
www.thegoatborrower.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Beautiful landscape! I don't think I've ever seen wild goats that dark color, but as you said, probably for their protection.

Ellen said...

we saw wild goats on Kauai too....Richard was very pleased :) He still loves goats and when he came home from school at Christmas he took his lead crystal goat I had gotten in Norway for him back to school. We had a nice chat about goats before he left....and without telling me he put a goat picture on my laptop for the wallpaper.....funny kid huh?!