Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Not all who wander are lost.....though sometimes they are...


I have a GPS. I know that I depend on it way to much and it is more than capable of making me drive more miles than necessary or even get lost. Feeling pretty confident, in spite of that, with my printed out Mapquest maps and my GPS I set out from Brook and Lois', heading to Enterprise.


The GPS and the printed directions appear to agree (at least at the beginning) and I head into the Wallowa Mountains. Not a whole lot of people on the road, more motorcyclists than cars. LOTS of Black Angus cattle standing alongside of and even in the road. This makes me extremely grateful that I am not driving at night.


It is a very beautiful drive, winding thru the trees and at one point I arrive at a turn. My GPS says turn Left on this road (which didn't seem right as it took me off the main road) and said to drive 3.8 miles then turn right on Coooover Dall Rd otherwise known as Coverdale). The GPS has a funny way of pronouncing some names and I laughed at the "Coooover Dall" pronunciation as I continued down the road . As I approached the "turn" I looked to the right only to see a basically straight up gravel road (actually more like a trail) road with a warning sign about getting on it. OK, I know I'm not going that way. I turn around and the GPS kicks in again "Recalculating......turn left on FS108" well, that isn't going to work either as their is not even a path into the woods at that location.

I decide that my best option is to get back on the main road and it is also at this point that I realize my Mapquest map even though it doesn't match my GPS at that location, it is also wrong. It is right about now that I think, geez, I wish I had remembered to put maps in my truck. I never used to go anywhere with out a 1/2 dozen maps in my vehicle. Live and learn.....I'm hoping I make it to Brianas before dark.....


I continue following the main road and the GPS starts making sense again. I start to enjoy the scenery once more. Saw a doe and her twin fawns, good sized and still had their spots. Another doe was eating alongside the road and didn't get the least bit concerned that I stopped to snap her picture. Amazing since there was a drooling Belgian Tervuren with her head hanging out the window looking at her like she was a walking meatloaf.

I arrive at Brianas just before dark. Her mother, Sharon, joined her in greeting me at their drive and after some jockeying around I got the trailer in a good spot for the night. We gave Duncan, Ilse and Flora some water and hay, and then I got to meet some of their Icelandic horses. Two of them had foals at their sides and talk about cute! I spotted a spotted donkey in one of their upper pastures and had to go meet him, as well as more of their horses. I then got to meet some of Brianas flock. This one little black iset ewe came running up to get a scritch, her name was Claire, I met Ellen, my gulmoget ewe lamb, also very friendly and then I also scritched a pretty little horned Moorit ewe named Aurora. Briana was surprised as Aurora didn't typically come up to strangers....



From there we went in their beautiful home, with lots of elegant cats romping and playing around the rooms. There were Siamese and Somalis as well as regular 'ol Domestic Short Hairs. It was a lot of fun to watch them racing around and wrestling. I met Brianas Dad, Rick, who had some exceptional photography displayed around the house. We chatted for awhile before I heading off to bed.



The room that I stayed in had a little canary in it. Understandably the bedroom door had to be kept shut as their was more than one cat that would like to spend a little "quality time" with that canary! I awoke to the sun streaming in the window and was feeling anxious to head home.



We sat and drank some tasty french pressed coffee and discussed many topics and as much as I hated to leave the great conversation I dragged Briana out to look at the sheep again. I wanted to get on the road before it got too hot for the sheep in the trailer.



Briana introduced me to all the available sheep and some of her favorites. It was a difficult decision, once again, but in the end it was the three that came up to me first that ended up going home with me.


Aurora

Ellen


Claire

Before I got on 82 for the head home I stopped to fill up with gas and pick up some junk food for Kylie and I. As expected, the attendant filling the truck said "you have sheep in that trailer?" now I used to be nice and just say yes, but that gets boring after awhile......so I responded "What! there's sheep in my trailer!! Someone must have stuck them in there when I wasn't looking!" He actually looked startled, so I continued "All I should have back there are some rare, miniature woolly cattle a guy sold me in Baker City". OK, now he caught on and allowed me a chuckle.

Loaded up with teriyaki beef jerky, cheese puffs, Sweet and Spicy Hawaiian chips, coke and water we hit the road. Made pretty good time, only stopping one other time in Yakima for gas and a potty stop for Kylie.

Pulled in my drive around 4:30Pm and backed the trailer down to the barn. I have to say there were some happy sheep getting out of that trailer. Normally I have to encourage whatever it is I am hauling to come out.....not this load of Shetlands, they scrambled out as fast as I got the door open. Whew! Home at last.....until the next sheep road trip in two weeks......

10 comments:

Danni said...

Thank goodness you did this trip before this crazy heat hit! Those rare, woolly, miniature cattle would have been *really* unhappy! :-)

Jenny Holden said...

Sounds like you're having an exciting, if tiring, sheep shopping time!

shadow mountain jacobs farm said...

Sounds like you had a real nice trip. You got some great pictures of the deer and sheep. Isn't it fun to travel to pick up new animals? Will you post some pictures of your chickens, I'd like to see them.

Michelle said...

Your story about the miniature wooly cattle reminded me of Jeff Foxworthy's routine "Here's your sign." Too bad you didn't have one to hand to him. Boy, you have to take the long way around from Lois' to Briana's!

Nancy K. said...

What a grande adventure! Last year my Beautiful Baby Girl and I drove from Minnesota to Pennsylvania to deliver some sheep and pick up a puppy. It was incredible. I'd love the chance to visit Lois & Brook Moore. Where are you heading on your next adventure?

Gone2theDawgs said...

Next adventure is just south of Eugene OR. :) I'm also picking up a ewe for Michelle of Boulderneigh and a lilac Jacob ram lamb for Mary of Shadow Mountain Jacobs.

goatgirl said...

What a great trip...and there is nothing I like better than shopping for new animals. Will you be at the Western Washington Fair with your sheep?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow...what a fun shopping trip.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm enjoying your blog and am glad I came over for a visit.
I'll be sure to come back again.

I'm new to sheep, have a karakul and a churro, as you know, but they have already won over my hearts.
Your new shetland Aurora is my favorite! She's gorgeous. I'm picturing something warm and soft, and lovely from her wool :)

Oh, and I like your sense of humor. I like to answer people in a similar way to make them scratch their head and try to figure out if I'm serious or not. heheh

Gone2theDawgs said...

Hi Goatgirl, I will probably just visiting the fair this year.....maybe next year I'll bring sheep. I've never shown sheep so it's a bit intimidating for me! :)
Twinville, I haven't really learned to do much with my wool yet so all the fleeces will be for sale next year...hint, hint. :) Thanks for stopping by!

Kathleen said...

I loved readng about your adventures.

Congratulations on your sheep purchase! I just finished reading about your spinning and knitting lesson,too, and I think you'll love being able to create your own yarns and knitted goodies. And remember - woo felts, too, s if something seems to be terrible, throw it in the washer and let the machine make it into something fabulous.