Monday, July 14, 2008

Confessions of a Sheep-a-holic












Let me introduce you to the lovely girl that started it all.....yes Michelle is very nice, but I'm speaking of Bella, the beautiful. :) This is the girl that made me question my undying devotion to the Jacob breed of sheep. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Jacobs, but I seem to have found room to love the Shetlands as well. And SO much variety of colors....it makes you want one of each, which is hard to do when you only have 5 acres of land!

After settling Bella in with the new and old Jacobs, I made the mistake of e-mailing Michelle to let her know how well Bella had settled in and how much I was enjoying her. I receive an e-mail from Michelle and I quote "And just in case I can tempt you, attached is a photo of my one remaining ewe lamb. Bevin may stay dark but could turn fawn (a silvery taupe) like her mom, who is my friendliest ewe with the champion fleece that I bought from Lois". Ok, now she knows I lust after friendly sheep....and what a beautiful color!! What's one more Shetland? Besides, Bella needs company of her "own kind". And so, I commit to Shetland #2.
Ok, two Shetlands, added to my Jacob flock that's not TOO bad is it? Exactly six days later I receive another e-mail.....and I quote "Is there any chance you would consider adding a ewe to your August sheep-buying trip? I just heard of a flock dispersal, and I happen to know that the flock contains some polled genetics that I might be very interested in. However, I can't add any new ewes to my flock, I would have to make room by selling some. I have Bella's dam, WSR Rechel, who is also a grey with crimpier wool and very friendly; she is my "supermom" and always twins. Let me know if you might be interested in her." How can I possibly let such a wonderful, helpful person down.....and she does have crimpier wool AND is very friendly.....not to mention a "supermom".....this is a once in a lifetime opportunity!! Introducing Shetland # 3 (standing next to her daughter Bella)
Three Shetland sheep, and they know each other.....I am a GOOD person.....they will be SO happy.... did I mention the first real Shetland that I fell in love with was a Gulmoget? Three days after I commit to Rechel, Bellas mother, I get another e-mail from Michelle (do you all see how evil she really is?) it is entitled "Your Gulmoget!" and she sends me a link for a to die for gulmoget lamb face AND she tells me how nice Briana is as well as her sheep AND she lives in OR. A phone call, a few e-mails and sweet little Ellen is spoken for....... cute, huh?



Briana tells me how special and sweet this little girl is and even sends me a pic of Ellen in her lap....
Now I'm thinking to myself....you're definitely getting yourself a nice sized little flock of Shetlands......but no ram......not to worry.....I receive another e-mail from Michelle telling me, and I quote...." I really think you should buy Duncan from Lois. That way you would have your katmoget AND your proven ram in one great package. Here's her blog post with a photo (look for Duncan): http://stonehavenfarm.com/blog/?p=180 He's even brown-based, which would be nice given what you already have, and that black gulmoget ewe lamb you're going to get. :-)"

Yes, I do keep every e-mail I receive from Michelle.....in case I have to defend myself in court on an insanity charge......

A lovely phone call with Lois, followed by some great e-mails (in which I also find out she has a Border Collie named Finn just like me! What a coincidence! It's a sign.....right?) and I have now commited to an awesome ram, Duncan. Who happens to be a katmoget....another "must have".
Now I'm sure this will be all the Shetlands I will get......at least for now.....I'm still getting e-mails of available ewes.....who knows there may be a color that would compliment the rest of my Shetlands.....until next time....here's some pics of the handsome ram, Duncan....





10 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

How is it MY fault that YOU have a problem? I was just trying to be helpful, and I get called wicked. I tell you, there's no justice! :-)

And the black ewe I'm adding to my flock isn't even from the original "family crisis" flock I heard about. But I'm very happy to be getting her, and wouldn't have been able to arrange reasonable transportation without your contacts and help. One good turn deserves another....

Jenny Holden said...

Hello and welcome to the apparently interlinked worlds of Shetland Sheep and blogging!

I've only had my little flock of Shetlands since December so we can be new together :o) My blog is www.wanderinggecko.blogspot.com .

I'm based in the English Lake District. See ya around the posts no doubt!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

He is a pretty ram, I'll give you that!
I can tell you from experience that sheep multipy with no apparent interaction; one day you have two then next you have thirty! Although I raise a differnt breed (tunis) I'm pretty sure it happens in every breed ;-)

Tina T-P said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Shetland Sheep! We're just "up the road" in Bellingham - hope you'll be able to come to the Skagit fair in August - we're having a little NW Shetland Sheep Owners meeting as well as a NW Shetland Sheep show. There will be more on the NW shetland Yahoo group, I'm sure.

Your place is beautiful! T.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

THAT Michelle is another card-carrying member of sheepaholics anonymous (I confess that I played my part in that)....but I am glad that her enabling introduced us! You will LOVE having Shetlands, and I am sure that you will soon be well on your way to becoming a fiberholic too.

Welcome to the Shetland clan!
Lois, who is having all sorts of trouble posting this comment!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Too funny...I can now officially call you an "adict." Great story and beautiful sheep!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I love Duncan!!!

Yes, I see there is some sheep obsession going oat your place! hehe